Powerball tickets are sold in 43 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and vendors were expecting a crush of buyers lining up for tickets at the end of the workday.
LottoGopher, an internet sales company that buys tickets for California players who prefer not to stand in line, says any jackpot over $400 million triggers a buying frenzy.
“It used to be anything over $200 million,” said LottoGopher Chief Executive James Morel. “People are expecting a lot more these days. $200 million is not enough.”
He said current sales are running at about 80 percent of that seen last year with the record $656 million Mega Millions jackpot.
The full story as reported by Jane Sutton; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick, Lisa Von Ahn and Cynthia Osterman:
- LottoGopher Announces Frankfurt Listing Under Symbol “2LG”
- Powerball Reaches a Quarter of a Billion Dollars for Wednesday’s Draw
- LottoGopher Holdings Inc. Commences Trading
- Marion woman says daughter’s dream led to winning Powerball ticket worth $1 million
- Powerball Ticket Worth Nearly $800K Sold in Orange County